E-commerce is the future of retail, and the future is already here!
You will read a lot of acronyms and brand names in this blog, and in case you are not 100% sure of what they are, here is a handy guide:
- ERP – enterprise resource planning. An ERP system helps companies handle all or parts of their administration, planning and logistics. ERPs include supply chain, manufacturing, operations, reporting, and human resource activities.
- CMS – content management system. A tool that keeps track of different versions of files and publications. Some CMS have special features to update multilingual websites and other content. There are commercial systems such as Episerver – a web content management system and e-commerce platform – and free open source systems such as WordPress.
- TMS – translation management system.
- PIM – product information management. A system that handles information about products in an easily manageable manner. It keeps information consistent and correct, and distributes product information to different channels.
- API – application programming interface. An interface between different software, which enables the software to communicate and exchange information.
- Hybris – an e-commerce platform owned by SAP.